Now that you’ve upgraded your kitchen either with a makeover or an entire remodel, there are always general maintenance and upkeep that everyone should do to keep that kitchen as appealing as possible to you and your guests, especially given that the kitchen can be one of the dirtiest rooms in your home. Thanks to the folks at Berloni America, here are the Top 5 Cleaning “Do’s” and “Don’ts” for your contemporary kitchen.
TOP 5 KITCHEN CLEANING DO’S
- DO a thorough cleaning at least once every week. Beyond just general maintenance that you can and should do after using your kitchen, this is a thorough cleaning which involves cleaning up the floor, stovetop, oven, refrigerator doors, countertops, sinks, etc.
- DO invest in antibacterial wipes. Antibacterial wipes are a far better option for general maintenance and cleaning up and provide additional cleaning power over just water. And since they’re disposable, you can help guarantee no additional re-contamination.
- DO use protective gloves while cleaning and doing the dishes. Some people don’t like wearing gloves, but gloves serve 2 purposes. First, they protect your hands and skin from cleaning products. Second, they allow you to get the water hot enough to help ward off any bacteria. Just make sure to replace your protective gloves regularly.
- DO regularly throw away that sponge. Sponges are bacteria magnets and should be replaced at a minimum of once every week (to every other week). You can retain the life of your sponges by boiling them in hot water, but ultimately replacing with a brand new one is your safest bet.
- DO look at the labels on your cleaning agents. Some cleaning products are intended for the kitchen, around surfaces and other areas that may come into contact with food and other items for consumption. Make sure that you’re not using cleaning products that are too harsh or harmful for your kitchen.
TOP 5 KITCHEN CLEANING DON’TS
- DON’T forget to wash your towels. Towels in the kitchen (including oven mitts and hot pads) are often overlooked when it’s time to do laundry. Be sure to regularly wash any towels you may keep around the kitchen.
- DON’T let the trash bin linger. If you throw away any kind of food that may spoil easily or smell after being left out for some time, you will want to immediately throw your trash away, even if it’s not full. You may also wish to invest in either a trash compactor or a trash can that supplies a lid.
- DON’T neglect your dishwasher. If you have a dishwasher, USE IT! You may be one of those people that prefer to wash your dishes by hand. This is fine, but one of the advantages of using your dishwasher is the ability to give your dishes a hot wash and dry that can help disinfect your dishes before use again.
- DON’T overlook cabinet and drawer liners. Cabinet and drawer liners can help with cleanup, depending on the kind of cabinets and drawers you have. It can make it easier for cleaning by allowing for an easily cleanable surface or can be easily replaced.
- DON’T forget the little things. There are many things in your kitchen that you may neglect to think needs replacing beside the obvious. One is your dish drain, which can very easily and quickly build up dust, dirt, bacteria and mildew. Another is that baking soda box in your refrigerator. Go through your kitchen and take a look at different tools, accessories and other items that may require your attention—either a cleaning or replacement.
Everyone has their own idea of best practices for cleaning and maintaining their kitchen. These are some helpful tips about how to maintain its sanitary state and beautiful makeover and/or remodel. No matter what practices you choose to do, just remember that remodeling your kitchen or updating its look requires ongoing maintenance and cleaning, particularly given that it’s the place you cook, prepare meals you consume and is often a gathering place in your home for people (and their germs!). You will want to impress and show off your new kitchen to your friends, family and guests—so don’t forget to clean and maintain it!
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Berloni America—leaders in modern Italian kitchen remodeling. The designers at Berloni America can help you design your next kitchen with storage and organization in mind. Contact us today for more information on how we can assist you with your next kitchen remodel. We would love to connect with you on Facebook.
Photo Credit: MEDITERRANEA via Berloni America