Summer is officially coming to an end and Labor Day weekend is here, which means that the last final BBQ and get-together with family and friends is here as we gear up for the holiday season. What better way to celebrate the Labor Day Holiday in your contemporary kitchen with a fun, party favorite recipe! This is one of our staff member's recipes for a layered bean dip, which has been a party favorite for years!
- 24oz refried beans
- 16oz thick n’ chunky salsa
- 16oz sour cream
- 16oz block of Colby Jack cheese
- 4 avocados
- 2 packs of guacamole mix
- Sliced olives
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 2 stalks of green onions
- Sliced jalapenos (optional)
- Tortilla chips, celery sticks, pita bread or Italian baguette slices
- Warm up a 24oz can of refried beans. You can make them homemade if you have time, but to save time you can use canned refried beans.
- Slice open and gut 4 avocados and place in a large bowl. Throw in 2 packs of guacamole seasoning mix and stir in until seasoning is thoroughly blended in and avocados are blended evenly. Again, this is something you can make from scratch if desired and time permitting.
- Using a grader, take a block of Colby Jack cheese and shred cheese on medium thickness. You can purchase packet of pre-shredded cheese, however the shredded cheese gives a different texture and flavor to the dip.
- Spread refried beans evenly at the bottom of a either an aluminum pan or casserole dish with a spoon or spatula.
- Spread guacamole mix evenly over refried beans.
- Take jar of salsa (the thicker the salsa, the better as watery salsas can make your dip watery) and spread evenly over the guacamole. You can get mild, medium or hot salsa depending on the flavor you’re going for. With all of the mixed ingredients in this dip, you can opt for a hot or medium salsa without it being too overwhelming for most guests. You can also split the recipe and opt for a milder option for one.
- Using a spoon, mix a 16oz container of sour cream and then spread sour cream evenly over the salsa.
- Sprinkle a thick layer of shredded cheese over sour cream.
- Chop up 2 Roma tomatoes and sprinkle over shredded cheese.
- Chop up 2 stalks of green onions and sprinkle over top.
- Open up small can of sliced olives and sprinkle over top.
- For added flavor, you can sprinkle sliced (pickled) jalapenos. Again, if you’d like to make one spicy dip option and another mild option, this might be advisable if you’re unsure of the preferences of your guests.
- Other toppings or ingredients that can be added or used: cilantro, black beans instead of refried beans, corn, tortilla strips, queso cheese, chopped lettuce.
Grab some tortilla, celery, pita bread or Italian baguette bread slices and enjoy this wonderful party favorite in your contemporary kitchen!
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Berloni America—leaders in modern Italian kitchen remodeling. The designers at Berloni America can help you design your next kitchen with storage and organization in mind. Contact us today for more information on how we can assist you with your next kitchen remodel. We would love to connect with you on Facebook.
Photo Credit: Kristina Schneider